Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten suggestions for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have so many clinical advancements and new techniques emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless individuals the opportunity to reduce or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and pain-free way to fix vision, however stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting recommendations from other physicians or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by expensive advertisements about a particular laser center. Select the physician, not the laser. Find out who will in fact do your treatment, then inquire about that doctor's qualifications (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Choose a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a physician doesn't know can hurt you.
Ask for information on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your physician won't inform you, find another one.
Ask what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is completely disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The possible cost savings are unworthy the threat of getting less than professional care!
Expect to see really well after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each client. Be careful of any medical professional who promises Check This Out 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use much better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting till the brand-new lenses are offered. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the benefits: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually improved the vision of countless people around the globe.